2010/05/11

BBC Message Board

My question

Dear teachers,
I would like to know if we can use this word to describe a person. Also, is this word widely used in daily conversation? Or there is another word we will use instead using this difficult word?

Answer
1) Yes, you can use this word to describe a person who is suffering from 'hypochondriasis'.
2) The word is not widely used in daily conversation simply because it is a relatively rare condition and it is not necessary for the rank-and-file to use it.
3) There is no other word that can be used which would not be pejorative in nature, i.e. slang.
Your feeling that it is a difficult word is subjective.
 
My comment
I leard the teacher used this word to describe a person who tends to worry about something easily so I want to know if this word can be used to describe a person who tends to worry things easily but the person is not suffering from hypochondriasis. I appreciate the teachers for responding so quickly. Also, I think the teacher answered the question clearly. Because we are online at the same time, it just like I am having a discussion with the teachers.
I think this message board do helps for self-learning because the teachers can provide correct answers immediately to learner's every instant question.The point is that there should be a crew to operate and manage. Or it would be just like Englsih forum which I used before. They responded your questions quickly in the beginning, but nobody operated and managed the website. Gradually,  less and less people visit the website.

1 則留言:

  1. I'm glad you seem to have a good experience using this message board, Kirsty.
    So you were online at the same time and had a chance to have some synchronous chats. That's great. But what's the "word" you asked? I'm quiqte curious about that.

    回覆刪除